Chapter 34–The Park Board
An Ordinance Relating to the Park Board,
Its Powers and Duties
34.010. Created. Pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 90 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri and amendments thereto, there is hereby established a department of the City of Holden to be known as the Park Board.
34.020. Composition. The Park Board shall be composed of nine (9) directors, to be chosen from the citizens of the City of Holden, said members to serve without compensation. No member of the municipal government of the City of Holden shall be eligible for membership on the Park Board.
34.030. Appointment. Park Board members shall be appointed by the mayor of the City of Holden with the consent and approval of the City Council of Holden.
34.040. Terms of office; procedure for initial appointment. Park Board members shall hold office for a term of three (3) years, with one-third (1/3) of the members being appointed for a three (3) year term each year. Upon the initial formation of the board, nine (9) persons shall be appointed by the mayor with approval of the city council, said persons shall cast lots such that one-third (1/3) shall hold their office for one (1) year, one-third (1/3) shall hold their office for two (2) years, and one-third (1/3) shall hold their office for a term of three (3) years, and annually thereafter the mayor shall before the first of April each year appoint three (3) directors who shall hold office for three (3) years and/or until their successors are appointed.
34.050. Successive terms restricted. No member of the Park Board shall serve for more than three (3) successive full terms (9 years): No member shall be eligible for re-appointment to the board until two (2) years have expired after the expiration of the last of said member’s three (3) successive full terms (9 years).
34.060. Removal of member, procedure for removal. A member of the park board may be removed from office as follows;
- The mayor, by and with a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the City Council, after a hearing before the city council, may remove any member of the park Board for misconduct and/or neglect of duty.
- Any citizen of the City of Holden may request the mayor to remove a member of the Park Board by forwarding to the mayor, in writing, a complaint setting forth the grounds for said removal request. The mayor may thereafter proceed as referenced in Chapter 34.060 (1).
34.070. Filling of vacancies. Vacancies in the Park Board occasioned by removals, resignations, or otherwise, shall be reported to the mayor and be filled in like manner as the original appointments, except that if the vacancy is an unexpired term, the appointment shall be made for the unexpired portion of the said term.
34.080. Compensation. No member of the Park Board shall receive any compensation as such and shall be subject to Missouri’s conflict of interest laws.
34.090. Organization, rules and regulations. Upon appointment or as soon as possible after their appointment, the members of the Park Board shall meet and organize their body by electing one (1) of their number President, one (1) of their number as Secretary/Treasurer and by electing such other officers as they may deem necessary. Thereafter, said board members shall make and adopt such by-laws, rules and regulations for their guidance and for the government of the board and City parks as may be expedient and not inconsistent with the Ordinances of the City of Holden and the Revised Statutes of Missouri. A copy of said rules and regulations shall be filed with the city clerk and open for inspection by any member of the public.
34.100. Powers of the Park Board. The Park Board shall have the following powers and duties;
- The Park Board shall in conjunction with the mayor and the City Council of Holden establish a Park Fund said fund to be financed by the city, grants and gifts. All monies received as and for city parks will be deposited in the treasury of the Park Fund and shall be kept separate from any other city funds. Further, any money expended by the Park Board, may only be expended by the use of properly authenticated vouchers of the Park Board.
- The Park Board shall have exclusive control of all expenditures of money collected for and to the credit of the Park Fund, said monies to be used for the supervision, improvement, care and custody of city parks.
- The Park Board shall have the power to purchase or otherwise secure ground to be used for parks; title to said grounds may be held in the name of the City of Holden or the Board of Directors of the Park Board. Any real property held by and in the name of the Park Board shall be open to the public subject to the regulations promulgated by the Park Board.
- If deemed necessary by the board, the Park Board shall have the power to appoint a suitable person to take care of city parks. The Board shall also have the power to remove such said appointee for cause.
34.110. Park Board-annual report. The Treasurer of the Park Board shall cause to be filed, with the City Clerk, no later that July 1st. of each year, a financial report indicating therein all expenditures of money by the board for the prior year and the current financial status of the Park Fund.
34.120. Donations of money, personal property or real estate. Any person desiring to make donations of money, personal property or real estate for the benefit of city parks shall have a right to vest the title of the money or real estate so donated in the Park Board of Directors, to be held and controlled by such board.